Cities and Towns

Town of Kentwood

Once the largest town in Tangipahoa Parish, Kentwood was founded by New Hampshire native Amos Kent. The town was chartered in 1893 and was the center of the lumber industry in the region. Following the demise of the lumber boom, the area was converted to dairy land and Kentwood was known as the “Dairy Capital of the South.” As the dairy industry slowly decreased, a new industry emerged, Kentwood Springs Water. Today that natural spring water is bottled and shipped across the state and country.

Mayor Irma Thompson Gordon

308 Avenue G
P.O. Box 559
Kentwood, LA 70444
Phone: 985-229-3451
View Website

Village of Tangipahoa

The first settlers of the Village of Tangipahoa traveled to the area by wagon train in 1806. Arriving from South Carolina were Mrs. Rhoda Holly Singleton Mixon and her daughter, Martha Singleton. Mrs. Mixon purchased about six sections of land now comprising the site of the Village of Tangipahoa and vicinity. Just outside of the village is the Camp Moore Confederate Cemetary and Museum where Civil War reenactments are held throughout the year.

Mayor Trashica Robinson

12616 Jackson St.
Tangipahoa, LA 70465
Phone: 985-229-8300

Town of Roseland

Roseland is nestled against the northern city limits of Amite and was incorporated in 1892. The town was named after the Cherokee Rose, a white rose that grows wild in the area. Today Roseland is home to Smitty’s Oil, one of the largest lubricant dealers in the South.

Mayor Wanda McCoy

Roseland, LA 70456
Phone: 985-748-9063

Town of Amite City

Amite, incorporated in 1861, is the Parish Seat. Located in the center of Tangipahoa Parish, it is easily accessible from any location within the area. The town’s name is derived from the French word amiti√©, meaning “friendship.” Amite is well known for its Oyster Industry, dating back to 1949, and hosts the annual Oyster Festival each March.

Mayor Buddy Bel

Amite City Hall
212 E. Oak St.
Amite, LA 70422
Phone: 985-748-8761
View Website

Town of Independence

Independence is the ethnic culture focal point in the parish, with such attractions as the Sicilian Festival, the Independence Italian Cultural Museum and Amato’s Louisiana Native Winery. The town is known for its large Italian-American community and sometimes even referred to as “Little Italy.” Italian immigrants began settling here as early as the 19th century and many families can trace their roots back to Sicily.

Mayor Angelo Mannino

473 W. Railroad Ave.
Independence, LA 70443
Phone: 985-878-4145

Village of Tickfaw

Tickfaw is an Indian name meaning “Rest Among the Pines.” The Village was founded in 1852 and was later incorporated in 1957. This tight-knit community is home to multi-generational families and traces their heritage back to early farming Italian and Sicilian settlers. The annual Tickfaw Italian Festival is held the last weekend in April each year.

Mayor Anthony LaMonte

50081 Hwy. 51 N.
Tickfaw, LA 70466
Phone: 985-542-9249

City of Hammond

Hammond, founded by Peter Hammond and developed by Charles Cate, is the commercial hub for Tangipahoa Parish. It is located at the intersection of Interstates 55 and 12. Over 20,000 residents of this area enjoy fine restaurants, an energizing downtown culture, several modern shopping centers and many beautiful parks for the entire family. Hammond is the home of Southeastern Louisiana University, one of the fastest growing universities in the country.

Mayor Pete Panepinto

Hammond City Hall
310 E. Charles St.
P.O. Box 2788
Hammond, LA 70404
Phone: 985-277-5600
View Website

City of Ponchatoula

Ponchatoula, the oldest incorporated city in the parish, is host to the popular Strawberry Festival every spring. The city derives the name from the Choctaw Indian language meaning “hair to hang” because of the abundance of Spanish moss on the trees surrounding the area. Nicknamed America’s Antique City, Ponchatoula is stocked with numerous art, antiques and hand crafted items in the restored old buildings in the downtown area.

Mayor Robert F. “Bob” Zabbia

125 W. Hickory St.
Ponchatoula, LA 70454
Phone: 985-386-6484
View Website

Manchac

Located at the southernmost end of Tangipahoa Parish is the village of Akers, commonly known as Manchac. A fishing settlement, Manchac is a true sportsman’s paradise. Showcasing the treasures of Louisiana, fresh seafood may be purchased seasonally and water sports are enjoyed year-round. The community is quickly becoming a popular filming location due to its scenic bayous, lakes, and swamps.